Trust me. You do not need anything beyond this article to understand Blogging.
When I am writing this Blog post I am assuming that you already own a Blog and have a few articles published on it. If not then check this free 3 part video tutorial which will help you set up your own Blog step by step.
The purpose of writing this post is to bring all the information about Blogging at one single place. If we do not take any courses in Blogging then we end up learning in bits and pieces which is very time-consuming. So let us organise all the information and understand Blogging in detail through this post.
First, let us kill the most popular Question.
How can I earn through my Blog?
The answer is simple and three-fold:-
- Generate traffic
- Engage traffic
- Monetise traffic
But this is not that simple. It takes years to learn these steps and finally generate income through Blog. But do not worry we will discuss everything in detail.
Hence let us understand the very first step -:-
1.How to Generate Traffic
The best way to generate traffic is to rank high in Google rankings.
There are a lot of other ways to generate traffic but organic traffic from Google is the best and the most effective. So let us keep our focus on the most effective and popular ways.
How can we rank high on Google?
There are multiple factors which decide Google rankings. Below are the most important ones:-
- On-Page SEO – optimisation done on your article is called on-page SEO. It includes things like grammar, tone of the article, keyword distribution in the entire article, structure of the article, title, heading tags and meta description. Read in detail to know more about On-Page SEO.
- Off-Page SEO – optimisation done outside of your article is called off-page SEO. It includes activities like backlink generation, branding, social media marketing of your blog, etc. We have discussed Off-Page SEO in detail in this article.
- Page Load Time – page load time is one of the factors which play a role in increasing the ranking of the post. This can be achieved by using a professionally coded theme and a cache plugin. Read how to decrease the load time of your blog.
- Content Quality – high-quality content helps reduce the bounce rate and increase the dwell time or average time on page. This can help you increase your ranking. However, this is debatable whether Google considers dwell time as one of the factors for ranking. You can increase the content quality by adding videos, photos, infographic, podcasts etc.
Once you have fixed your posts and started ranking high you will notice that you started getting a lot of traffic. If the traffic comes and you do not convert one time visitors to regular visitors or subscribers then there is no use of getting that much traffic.
So the next important step is to learn how to engage with the visitors.
2.How to Engage Traffic
You can engage frequently with your readers only if you know about them. Hence you must ask the users for their information such as email id and name when they visit your Blog.
But how do you ask them for the details?
There can be many ways to prompt the users for their information. Two most widely used methods are Popups and Landing Pages. This is a give and take process. You must always try to reward your readers in a way or the other. Hence I would suggest that you should always offer freebies to people for subscribing to your Blog.
Once the user subscribed the next step is to engage them with super awesome and useful content.
How to Engage with users?
The answer to this question is Email Marketing. Through Email Marketing you can keep your subscribers engaged by sending them the latest posts, best content, freebies and even announce your future plans. You can ask them for advice or suggestion for any new decisions you are going to make. This way you can be in touch with the readers and keep them engaged as well.
3.How to Monetise Traffic
Once you have loyal readers the next step is to monetise your traffic. There are many ways you can do it:-
- E-Books – you can create e-books on a particular topic. The content of the e-book should be very engaging, informative and helpful. You can put it on your Blog for some fixed price. When the readers buy it you will earn money.
- Courses – another very effective way of earning money is by creating courses. To help your readers you can create a course which can help them achieve a goal easily. For each subscriber, to the course, you can charge money.
- Affiliate Marketing – through affiliate marketing you can enhance your earnings. You can put affiliate links of products available in your niche. When your readers click the link and buy the product you will get the commission.
- Lead Generation – in some niche you can get money for generating the lead. This means that you can divert traffic to another website and claim some amount for every lead generated.
This is all you need to know about Blogging. But you must be thinking that there is so much on the web how can all the details about Blogging be discussed in just one Blog post.
I beg to disagree. Trust me this is all.
Now the only thing you need to do after reading this post is to dig deep into topics like On-Page SEO, Off-Page SEO, Quality Content, Page Load time etc. Other areas to research would be Email Marketing, Affiliate Marketing.
When you dig deep you will get to know more about the helpful tools, plugins and other resources.